Sunday, February 19, 2012

Indicting a Ham Sandwich

Jodi Jacobson has a great piece at RH Reality Check addressing the comparisons, strangely popular among Catholic birth control opponents, between non-discriminatory health services that include contraceptive care and Jews serving pork.  Fordham Law alumna Sara Yood had this to say in response to one such example in the New York Times article that reported on the birth control situation at Fordham:


To the Editor: 
As both a Jew and a graduate of Fordham Law School, I found Mr. Galligan-Stierle's comments equating access to birth control at a Catholic university to access to pork at a kosher barbecue offensive and insensitive.  How cavalier of him to assume that students choose universities with a full understanding of how the school's religious policies - or any other policy - may affect the availability of the healthcare and medications on which they depend.  I chose Fordham because of its superb reputation, expertise in my desired field, and prime location, not knowing how difficult it would be to get access to the reproductive care that is my right.  I don't know if I would have made a different decision had I been better informed, but at least I would have been prepared for the hundreds of dollars I paid for access to reproductive care while enrolled at Fordham.

Sara E. Yood 
Fordham Law School, J.D. 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment